All the benefits of joining BVSC.
Why not join BVSC? (Jump to membership form). Here are just some of the benefits your group could take advantage of:
- Regular Spotlight e-bulletins
- Ability to vote at BVSC’s AGM
- Ability to stand for election to BVSC’s Trustee Board
- Free or discounted training
- Printing service at reduced rates
- Hire of equipment including display boards, power point projector, flip charts etc
In addition, BVSC can offer:
- Advice on organisational development
- Access to Funding databases
- Special Mailings – notice of events, special briefing papers, etc
- The opportunity to recruit new volunteers
- Introduction to a network of voluntary groups working within the borough of Bexley
- The chance to join any of the following networks:
Membership is free. In return for this we ask that our Members:
- ‘The liability of the members is limited. Every member promises, if the Charity is dissolved while he or she is a member or within twelve months after he or she ceases to be a member, to contribute such sum (not exceeding £1) as may be demanded of him or her towards the payment of the debts and liabilities of the Charity incurred before he or she ceases to be a member, and of the costs, charges and expenses of winding up, and the adjustments of the rights of the contributories among themselves.’
The above is an extract from BVSC’s Memorandum and Articles of Association which can be seen at BVSC’s office.
- Participate in consultation and engagement events as appropriate
- Participate in surveys and research into the voluntary sector in Bexley and its training and development needs
BVSC’S Membership Policy
Membership of Bexley Voluntary Service Council will be open to any voluntary or community organisation/group who have:
- A minimum of 3 people who are unrelated forming the management committee;
- A clearly defined social aim, purpose or mission that is broadly charitable and to the exclusion of private gain;
- A constitution, or memorandum and articles of association for a company limited by guarantee (but not share capital) clearly setting out aims and objects;
- A voluntary management committee i.e. a group of people who receive no pecuniary advantage except that which is allowed under charity law;
- A bank account in the group’s name, or be willing to set one up, with at least two signatories who are unrelated and not living at the same address as best practice;
Additionally, organisations eligible for membership should be able to evidence that:
- their work contributes towards the benefit of some part or all of the community in the London Borough of Bexley
- they adhere to equal opportunities policies and practices
Organisations may be asked for evidence to support their application for membership
The following types of organisations cannot become members of BVSC:
- a national or regional body which happens to have a base in the Borough but does not undertake any work for the benefit of the community in Bexley;
- An organisation that is not committed to equality of opportunity;
- An organisation that does not have charitable aims;
- An organisation which is a political party;
- An organisation set up by statutory instrument or has more than half the membership of its Executive Committee representing the statutory and/or private sectors. This does not include a committee member who also happens to be a member of the Council or works in the private sector, but serves in his or her own right.
All new membership applications will be presented to the Trustee Board for approval.
BVSC’S Equal Opportunities Statement
BVSC recognises that everyone has a contribution to make to our society and has a right to equal treatment. It is the policy of BVSC that all persons shall have equal opportunity for employment, advancement and training on the basis of their ability, qualifications and fitness for the work in accordance with BVSC’s policies in those areas. There must be no discrimination towards or against any person whether in membership of BVSC or its committees, use of BVSC services or in any other way on grounds of colour, race, religion, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, gender, sexual orientation or marital status.
If your organisation is interested in applying for membership of BVSC, please complete and return the online application form. All applications will be agreed by BVSC’s Trustee Board which meets four times per year and you will be informed of their decision as soon as possible. If you would like any further information or have any queries regarding your organisation’s eligibility for membership of BVSC, please contact us at email@example.com